Malta Football Association
Marsaskala halt Mġarr's run, ninth win for Melita
Jan 20, 2021
Posted in:
BOV Amateur League A
BOV Amateur League B
BOV Amateur League C
(c) Roberto Farrugia
(c) Roberto Farrugia

  • (c) Roberto Farrugia
  • (c) Elena Bonello
  • (c) Walter Sargent


Mġarr United 2 Marsaskala 2

First placed Mġarr United dropped two points as they were held in a draw by Marsaskala in an entertaining encounter. Joseph Paul Zammit put Mġarr ahead on 18 minutes but Abubakar Bello Osagie levelled for Marsaskala in the 34th minute, converting a penalty. Six minutes later, another penalty was given, this time for Mgarr, after defender Mark Vassallo fouled Zammit inside the box. Gordon Saliba converted handsomely to restore the lead for the Northerners. Seven minutes after the break, Mġarr received a huge blow when Zammit was sent off, leaving his side to play with ten men. Marsaskala took advantage of their numerical superiority as Anthony Ewurum levelled on 68 minutes. A deserved outcome of a balanced match.

Mellieħa 1 Birżebbuġa St Peter’s 0
Last Saturday at the Luxol Stadium, Mellieħa beat St Peter’s thanks to a goal in the fifth minute by Brazilian striker Cleiton, who dribbled past the Birżebbuġa defence into the penalty area, placing the ball handsomely into the left side corner. Mellieħa were the better side in the first half, constantly pressuring the Birżebbuġa rear-guard. On the resumption however, Birżebbuġa created many attacks and came very close to equalising on the hour when Gary Caruana's shot was deflected into a corner kick by Mellieħa goalkeeper James Abela. However, Mellieħa managed to bring home the three points, a very valid victory in their search to participate in the Promotion Play-Offs.


Għargħur 2 Għaxaq 0 (abandoned 49’)

This match had to be abandoned in the 49th minute due to a waterlogged pitch at the Victor Tedesco Stadium. One minute before the break, Għargħur took the lead thanks to Michael Grima and a penalty by Ikechukwu Igwemeke put Għargħur into a deserved 2-0 lead in the 48th minute. Weather conditions worsened immediately after the penalty and the referee in charge had no other option to abandon the game. The match will now be resumed from the 49th minute on another date, exact date is still to be decided.


Żurrieq 4 Ta’ Xbiex 0

Żurrieq is keeping the pressure on Mġarr and made no mistake against lowly Ta’ Xbiex. The team of coach George Magri dominated this fast-paced encounter entirely, a match played in difficult weather conditions. Jean Paul Formosa scored the first goal of the match in the 26th minute and just two minutes later, Andre Joe Cutajar doubled with placing the ball top corner, two great goals. Just before half time, Erik Pietribiasi added the third goal, giving the Reds a comfortable lead on the break. Żurrieq continued where they left off, pressing high in attack. In the 57th minute, Pietribiasi penetrated into the penalty area and crossed to Cutajar, who tapped the ball home, his second and his side’s fourth of the afternoon.



Żabbar St Patrick 2 Msida St Joseph 4

Msida had no problems against a depleted Żabbar side, with the two dynamic centre forwards Giovanni Galea and Timmy Thomas in fine shape, scoring two goals each. At half-time, the score was already 3-0 with two goals by Galea on 4 and 34 minutes, with Thomas adding his side’s third three minutes before the break. On the resumption, Thomas scored his second of the afternoon and Msida’s fourth. Christian Desira scored for Żabbar on 50 minutes with experienced defender Evair Grech scoring another for Żabbar three minutes before full-time to make the defeat more bearable for Dennis Apap’s St Patrick, who had young defender Anderjay Grech sent-off in the 72nd minute for a second bookable offence. 


Mtarfa 1 Mdina Knights 0

Joe Gerada’s Mtarfa had to fight hard to beat neighbours Mdina Knights who, with two points gained, still look for their first win of the season. The only goal of the match was scored by Matthew Borda on 15 minutes. On 35 minutes, Mdina’s Daniel Axiaq received his second caution of the match and his marching orders, which seriously hampered Mdina’s chances to get something from this match. However, Mtarfa did not profit further from their numerical advantage. The Knights finished the encounter with nine players as Lee Cuschieri was given a second yellow deep into added time to end a miserable afternoon for Mdina. 


Luqa St Andrew’s 2 Rabat Ajax 0

The match of the week in Group B was won by league leaders Luqa, beating Rabat 2-0 with a goal in each half. It was a deserved win for Luqa, who were the better side throughout the game. St Andrew’s took an early lead thanks to Lydon Cuschieri on eight minutes. This early lead made things easier for Luqa and, on the hour, lanky centre-back Julian Camilleri doubled to give his side a 2-0 cushion. Rabat were never really into the match, not even after introduction of club icon Adam Smeir, who returned to play for the Magpies after being away for several years. Smeir was given his marching orders with a straight red card deep into added time.



Kalkara United 1 Kirkop United 4

Kirkop obtained an important win over Kalkara, two teams who aim to be included in the Promotion Play-Offs. Slightly against the run of play, new signing Daniel Claridge opened the scoring for Kirkop on 24 minutes, but four minutes later, veteran Alan Tabone equalised for Kalkara, converting a penalty. Kirkop regained the lead thanks to a Lincoln Micallef free-kick on 39 minutes and three minutes later, the same Micallef added Kirkop’s third, rounding off a wonderful solo effort. Kalkara reacted strongly in the second half but somehow did not manage to find the net. On 75 minutes, Brandon Saliba received his second caution and his marching orders, but despite playing with ten players, Kirkop extended their lead thanks to a late Kenneth Ekezie strike and are now a step closer to secure a Play-Off spot.  


Santa Venera Lightnings 1 Dingli Swallows 4

Marco Buttigieg’s Dingli recorded their first win of the season in a match they controlled from start to finish. The Swallows took advantage of the opponent's unsettling defence and opened the scoring after only four minutes thanks to Giuseppe Versace. Dingli kept on dominating procedures but had to wait until the start of the second half to double. Ion Alin Margarit Ion scored two goals just five minutes, in the 55th minute and 60th minute. In the 69th minute, Santa Venera was given a penalty after a foul committed by Robert Ciantar, converted by James Borg, the Lightnings’ first goal of the campaign. In the 86th minute, substitute Daniel Cilia headed in an accurate cross to seal the issue for Dingli. 


Xgħajra Tornados 1 Melita 3

The Amateurs keep on impressing with another win, closing in on promotion to the Challenge League. They have now won all their nine league matches and last Sunday, a depleted Xgħajra side were defeated 3-1. Michael Cachia put Melita 1-0 up by converting a penalty on 26 minutes. During additional time of the first half, Melita had to continue with ten as Nigel Rizzo was given his second yellow. This did not influence Melita's rhythm and four minutes after the break, Aidan Mizzi scored his side’ second goal, burying the ball home from close range after Xgħajra goalkeeper Lark Falzon failed to control the ball. Close to the hour, Xgħajra were awarded a penalty and Julian Spiteri made no mistake to give the Tornados a lifeline. However, on 78 minutes, Xgħajra defender Melchior Grech was also given his second caution, equalling the number of players on the pitch on each side. Three minutes before the final whistle, Matthew Debattista scored Melita’s third to put the result beyond doubt.

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners