Malta Football Association
Mġarr and Melita keep marching on, Attard lose
Dec 24, 2020
Posted in:
BOV Amateur League A
BOV Amateur League B
BOV Amateur League C
(c) Walter Sargent
(c) Walter Sargent

  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent

The BOV National Amateur League is progressing well with the second round kicking off with wins for Mġarr United, Rabat and Melita, while Attard were unexpectedly halted by Xgħajra Tornados. 



Għargħur 3 Birżebbuġa St Peter’s 1


Last Saturday at the Luxol Stadium, Għargħur maintained their positive run as they beat Birżebbuġa St Peter's 3-1.


Għargħur took a two-goal lead in the early stages thanks to Nigerian Ikechukwu Igwemeke. The Nigerian converted a penalty after four minutes and added another in the eighth minute following an erroneous back-pass from a Birzebbuga defender.


On 35 minutes, Igwemeke completed his hat-trick for Għargħur, his eighth league goal of the season. In the remaining part of the match, Birżebbuġa never gave the impression that they could save the match. However, on 85 minutes, Vinicius scored a consolation goal for the Southseasiders. 


Mellieħa 2 Zurrieq 3


Żurrieq had to battle hard to shake off the resistance of Mellieħa in a match played in driving rain.


Żurrieq’s Miguel Simiana hit the post after only two minutes. On 17 minutes, Żurrieq seized the lead with an unlucky own goal by Mellieha defender Isaac Cutajar. Five minutes before the half-time whistle, Andie Sammut equalised for Mellieħa from close range after an inch-perfect cross from Luke Mallia.


Ten minutes after the break, Żurrieq’s Jean-Paul Formosa was sent through and could have put his team 2-1 up but young Mellieħa goalkeeper Mark Cutajar saved brilliantly. But there was nothing Cutajar could do to stop a Simiana thunderbolt two minutes later. On 62 minutes, Erik Pietribiasi made it 3-1 in favor of Żurrieq.


Mellieħa staged a late rally and it was again Sammut who scored on 88 minutes. Two minutes into added time, Michael Micallef could have even equalised for Mellieħa but his close-range attempt missed the target. 


Marsaskala 3 Għaxaq 0


A much-deserved win for Marsaskala who paraded their two latest signings, Anthony Ewurum, who joined from Kalkara and, central defender Mark Vassallo, formerly of Dingli.


In the initial stages of the match, Għaxaq defended well until Rio Micallef was sent off in the 16th minute following a late tackle. This red card changed the course of the match.


Just after the half-hour mark, a perfect cross by Abubakar Bello Osagie found Ewurum in the box and the latter tapped the ball home for Marsaskala’s opener. Just before half-time, Larken Friggieri dribbled past the Għaxaq defence and added the second goal with an accurate shot.


On the resumption, on 49 minutes, Ewurum scored his second of the day for Marsaskala to cap a perfect debut for the experienced striker while securing three valuable points for the team of Brian Vella.


Mġarr United 5 Ta’ Xbiex 0


Patrick Curmi’s Mġarr United continued to show their dominance in this group, easily beating Ta’ Xbiex with an emphatic 5-0 score ine.


It was one-way traffic practically the whole match with the score already 3-0 at half time. On seven minutes, Jamie Lee Micallef received a cross from midfield, controlled and hit past Matthew Schembri.


Mġarr kept attacking and in the 17th minute Lazar Doric placed the ball nicely in the low corner to score the second goal for his team. In the 42nd minute, Micallef got his second goal for Mġarr with a powerful low drive. The last two goals were scored in the last ten minutes of the match thanks to substitute Joseph Paul Zammit (80’) and playmaker Gordon Saliba a minute from full-time. 



Marsaskala 0 Żurrieq 0


This was an interesting duel with second place in this group at stake. Marsaskala began well and enjoyed a slight upperhand before the break. An Ewurum goal was ruled out for offside halfway during the first half and at the other end, Gary Cauchi came close to opening the scoring on 41 minutes after the Marsaskala defence failed to clear the ball in their own box.


On the stroke of half-time, Marsaskala’s Radnor Farrugia’s attempt from the edge of the box sailed inches over the crossbar. Żurrieq were the better team after the break with lanky centre-forward Erik Pietribiasi proving more than a handful for the Marsaskala defence.


On 76 minutes, Marsaskala were reduced to ten players as Farrugia was cautioned for a second time. Żurrieq substitute Jean-Paul Formosa just missed target from the free-kick that followed. The goalless draw means that Zurrieq retain second spot in this group.





Żabbar St Patrick 0 Rabat Ajax 1


An important win for the Magpies in this balanced encounter. 


In the 40th minute, Rabat scored the only goal of the match. It was a great build-up with multiple passes from the back and Julian Zahra scored from the edge of the box with his shot being deflected by Żabbar defender Rogger Sneider.


Substitute Axl Xuereb, on his Rabat debut, could have doubled on the hour but his attempt sailed inches over the crossbar. Żabbar substitute Jordan Debono dribbled his way through the Rabat defence on 77 minutes but his attempt hit the woodwork.


Somehow, the Ajax defence managed to survive this late St Patrick rally, giving Rabat a precious and most welcome three points, consolidating their first spot in the ranking.


Mdina Knights 2 Msida St Joseph 3


Msida St Joseph have leapfrogged Zabbar in the standings but had to fight hard to see off a stubborn Mdina side by the odd goal in five.


It turned out to be the afternoon of 35-year-old Msida striker Timmy Thomas who scored two of his side’s three goals, entering the top 5 of Malta’s most prolific scorers with 266 career goals.


On the stroke of half-time, Msida opened the scoring thanks to a clever Kurt Zahra goal. Seven minutes after the break, Thomas made it two for Msida, with Mdina substitute Marinko Solarevic reducing the deficit on 79 minutes.


Three minutes later, Thomas added his second of the afternoon but another Mdina substitute, Lee Cuschieri, restored belief for his team on 84 minutes. Mdina pushed hard for an equaliser in the dying minutes of the game but Msida held on to collect another three points in their bid to make the Play-Offs.


Siġġiewi 1 Luqa St Andrew’s 3


Luqa deservedly bagged three points from this encounter with Siġġiewi clearly playing below par.


On 24 minutes, Siġġiewi goalkeeper Ryan Micallef had to perform a great save from a shot by Alan Abdul Rahman. From the corner action that followed, Julian Camilleri headed home to put Luqa 0-1 up.


The latter doubled the score on 36 minutes thanks to captain Greg Marney who beat Micallef from the edge of the box after a precise pass from Mario Jude Dominicius. On the hour, Luqa were awarded a penalty and Marney converted from the spot to give his team a comfortable 0-3 lead.


Five minutes later, Emmanuel Mbong pulled one back for Siġġiewi, finding the net from close range. It was however too little too late for Siġġiewi who have to work hard to get back into the race for promotion in their remaining six matches of the league.




Kalkara United 1 Melita 4

Led by coach Saviour Debono Grech, Melita underlined their prowess in the National Amateur League. This time, Kalkara were the victims. The Greens had no reply in the first half to the fluent attacks by the Amateurs and lost the match 4-1, a score already reached by half-time.


It was a memorable match for young Karl Mohnani as he scored a hat-trick in the first half on 12, 19 and 23 minutes, the last one from a penalty after a handball incident in the Kalkara box.


Noel Omondi scored Melita’s fourth on 29 minutes, punishing a defensive mistake. Veteran Alan Tabone gave Kalkara a glimpse of hope with a strike on 38 minutes. After the break, Melita slowed down with Kalkara also creating some chances but both teams did not find the net again. Melita have won all their seven league matches so far, leading the table with a six-point gap on Attard. 


Attard 3 Xgħajra Tornados 4


Xgħajra Tornados registered a very important win as they saw off Attard 4-3 in a seven-goal thriller at the Victor Tedesco Stadium last Sunday.


The Tornados were determined to get the three points at stake and this match confirmed that they are on the road to recovery. Defender Julian Spiteri netted a brace for Xgħajra on 25 and 30 minutes with Owen Anyaso (22) and Reuter Degiorgio (86) also putting their name on the scoresheet.


Attard, who showed a never-say-die attitude, were on target through Nicholas Schembri who opened the scoring in the 17th minute, Jurgen Gauci (28’) and a late consolation goal by Lydon Cuschieri (91’). 


Dingli Swallows 1 Kirkop United 2


Kirkop beat Dingli by the odd goal in three in this balanced encounter. The first half belonged to Dingli and in the sixth minute, Daniel Cilia missed the target from an ideal position.


Barely a minute later Cilia was again dangerous but his volley ended wide. On 25 minutes, Kirkop goalkeeper Jonathan Mallia tipped Ryan Ciantar’s attempt over the crossbar.


On the half-hour mark, Kirkop had their first goalscoring opportunity as Kenneth Ekezie’s attempt from close range just missed the target. But it was the same Ekezie who put Kirkop 1-0 up on 38 minutes with a precise lob over Dingli goalkeeper Manuel Galea.


Close to the half-time whistle, Cilia fluffed another opportunity for Dingli with a shot blocked by Mallia, hitting wide from the rebound. But on 68 minutes, Dingli deservedly drew level thanks to a header by Ion Alin Margarit from a corner action. However, on 78 minutes, Ekezie scored his second to give Kirkop three precious points, leaving behind a luckless Dingli side with empty hands for the fifth time this season.

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners