Malta Football Association
Mġarr United extend lead in Group A
Dec 9, 2020
Posted in:
BOV Amateur League A
BOV Amateur League B
BOV Amateur League C
(c) Walter Sargent
(c) Walter Sargent

  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent

Għargħur 2 Marsaskala 2
Stalemate yesterday evening at the Sirens Ground with all goals coming in the second half. Adrian Bonavia put Marsaskala up from the penalty spot three minutes after the break and veteran Joseph Chetcuti doubled on 71 minutes. Għargħur staged a great comeback with Ikechukwu Igwemeke reducing the deficit on 83 minutes and on the stroke of full-time, Timmy Muscat saved a point for the team of coach Kevin Borg-Degiorgio. 

Għaxaq 0 Mellieħa 0

Strugglers Għaxaq were the happier side after a hard-earned draw against Mellieħa, who dictated the match for long stretches but simply could not find the net. It was a frustrating afternoon for the boys of coach Brian Bartolo, who had some good opportunities to score but were denied by ill-luck and Għaxaq goalkeeper Duane Carabott. In added time, Għaxaq defender Jeremy Azzopardi was shown a straight red card. But by then the match was played with a welcome point for Għaxaq. 
Marsaskala 1 Ta’ Xbiex 1
Marsaskala and Ta' Xbiex shared the spoils with a 1-1 score line in a match played at the Luxol Stadium. After a quiet first half and a penalty missed by Abubaker Bello Osagie for Marsaskala, the Nigerian striker proved better on the hour as he beat Ta' Xbiex goalkeeper Matthew Schembri from close range. Ta' Xbiex had Luke Zammit sent off on 80 minutes but despite this hurdle, they managed to level the matter on 88 minutes through substitute Matthew Agius, the second positive result for Ta’ Xbiex after beating Għaxaq last week.
Għargħur 2 Żurrieq 2
Żurrieq lost another two points in their bid for promotion as Għargħur held their more quoted opponents on a two all draw. The first half, Żurrieq were clearly in control of the match and got two goals disallowed from offside infringements. The second half developed into a real thriller as both teams went all out to grab the three points. Għargħur scored first in the 50th minute from Nicholas Formosa after a corner by David Mifsud. Żurrieq equalised on 63 minutes thanks to a strike by Italian striker Erik Pietribiasi and two minutes later the Reds took the lead thanks to an unfortunate auto goal by Nigerian Ikechuckwu Igwemeke. However, Igwemeke made up for his mistake by scoring a late equaliser on the stroke of full-time.
Mġarr United 4 Birżebbuġa St Peter’s 0
Leaders Mġarr saw their promotion chances boosted further as they extended their lead by eight points on second placed Żurrieq and Mellieħa, beating Birżebbuġa 4-0. Initially, the Blues kept Mġarr at bay but after the break, Mġarr ran riot. Joseph Paul Zammit put his team 1-0 up on 57 minutes. Seven minutes later, the inform Aaron Sammut scored the 2-0 with a superb freekick, Matteo Di Vita scored goal number three in the 79th minute and winger Jamie-Lee Micallef added goal number four for Mġarr on the stroke of full-time, his sixth league goal of the season. All in all it was a somewhat harsh result for the Saints, who deserved a more respectable result but the Mġarr defence was superb, clearing all the danger throughout the match.
Msida St Joseph 4 Mtarfa 1
Msida played their best season of the campaign and were two nil up within 15 minutes thanks to two well taken goals by Ciro Quaranta (5’ and 14’). Mtarfa had no reply to Msida’s excellent opening and captain Fabio Muscat made it 3-0 with an excellent header on 27 minutes. On 43 minutes, Kurt Zahra added goal number four with a wonderful top corner free-kick. Eight minutes after the break, Alejandro Brincat, Mtarfa’s best player, pulled one back for Mtarfa. On 68 minutes, Jurgen Gerada was fouled in the box by Zahra and but Msida goalkeeper Gosef Mizzi brilliantly blocked Gerada’s attempt from the spot. This killed all hopes for a Mtarfa comeback with Msida finishing the match as worthy winners. 
Żabbar St Patrick 1 Siġġiewi 1
Interesting encounter between two promotion contenders. Although Siggiewi had their fair share of ball possession, Żabbar took deservedly the lead thanks to a goal by Ethan Goodman, who in the 37th minute beat Siġġiewi goalkeeper Ryan Micallef with a low grounder. Siġġiewi gradually got better into the match and on 72 minutes, Siġġiewi substitute Samuel Vella equalised. Barely a minute later, veteran Eman Ciappara missed a sitter for Siggiewi and on 88 minutes, Micallef made a great save on a shot by Żabbar substitute Jordan Debono, who was left unmarked in the box, to save a point for Siġġiewi.  
Luqa St Andrew’s 1 Mdina Knights 1
St Andrew’s could have ended the 1st round as number one of Group B, but had to settle for a draw against lowly Mdina, who played most of the match with ten players. Play was quite balanced when on 18 minutes, Mdina goalkeeper Wallace Galea was sent-off for handling the ball outside the box. From that moment Luqa dominated the game but it took the team of Edmond Lufi until the 55th minute to take the lead, thanks to a header by the towering Keith Vella from a corner action. On 67 minutes, Julian Camilleri incredibly missed from close range and there were further chances for Danny Claridge and Alan Abdel Rahman who all failed to find the net. These missed chances costed Luqa dearly as on 85 minutes, Mdina equalised thanks to a free kick by Bosnian substitute Marinko Solarevic, safeguarding only their second point of the campaign. After the full-time whistle, tempers flared with Luqa goal scorer Vella and a committee member being shown the red card for dissent. 
Kirkop United 3 Santa Venera Lightnings 0
Kirkop registered their second league win of the season, having little trouble with a plagued Santa Venera side, who still have to score their first goal of the season. The team of coach Jeffrey Mifsud controlled the game from start to finish and opened the scoring in the 33rd minute when the Lightnings defence failed to clear Ayrton Buhagiar's cross in the penalty area, and Andy Portelli tapped in from close range It took Kirkop until the 75th minute to double the score when Lincoln Micallef made use of another mistake from the Sta Venera defence. One minute into added time, Michael Theuma sealed the issue for Kirkop with a third goal, leaving Sta Venera empty handed once again.
Kalkara United 0 Attard 5
It was one-way traffic last Saturday at the VTS as Attard returned to winning ways, beating Kalkara handsomely with the score 0-5. Dangerman Nicholas Schembri put his team 0-1 up on 31 minutes but five minutes later, Kalkara’s Nathan Attard hit the woodwork with a superb strike. Albanian livewire Bledi Alla doubled for Attard on 39 minutes and it was game over when Nicolai Sammut and again Schembri scored goals number three and four on 41 and 45 minutes respectively. Kalkara came out the dressing rooms well but received another setback when Nigel Spiteri scored goal number five on 51 minutes. After this goal the game lost much of its flair. Attard keep on chasing leaders Melita in this group, ranked second on a three points distance.
Xgħajra Tornados 5 Dingli Swallows 0
Marco Buttigieg’s Dingli faced an absolute off day last Sunday at the Sirens Ground, with Xgħajra coming out worthy winners with a 5-0 score line. Hard working midfielder Glenn Brincat put Xgħajra 2-0 up with strikes on nine and 35 minutes, followed by an unlucky own goal by Dingli defender Richard Deschrijver three minutes after Brincat’s second goal. It was game over when Reuter Degiorgio added a second four minutes after the break, while substitute Michael Scicluna score his side’s fifth goal on 83 minutes, moment after he enter the pitch. Dingli therefore still wait, along with Għaxaq, Santa Venera and Mdina Knights, for their first win in the Amateur League this season. 
Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners