Malta Football Association
Melita retain 100% record, Rabat drop important points
Nov 25, 2020
Posted in:
BOV Amateur League A
BOV Amateur League B
BOV Amateur League C
(c) Walter Sargent
(c) Walter Sargent

  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent

It was another eventful weekend in the BOV Amateur League, with Melita remaining the only unbeaten team in Malta after a clinical win over Kirkop. Below an overview of all the matches.

Ta’ Xbiex 0 Mellieħa 3

Brian Bartolo’s Mellieħa grabbed their second win of the season at the expense of Ta' Xbiex, who managed to defend well for half an hour before the Blues took the lead. Veteran David Fenech converted a penalty on 32 minutes after a hands ball incident in the Ta’ Xbiex box. Luke Mallia doubled on the stroke of half-time and nine minutes into the second half, Brazilian striker Cleiton opened his account for Mellieha to seal the issue in an uneventful encounter.

Għaxaq 0 Birżebbuġa St Peter’s 5

Birżebbuġa defeated Għaxaq to the tune of 5-0 in a match they easily administered. Għaxaq played for more of the match with 10 men after goalkeeper Duane Carabott was sent off by the referee close to the half hour mark. From then on, the Southseasiders dominated the match and found the time to score five times, with goals scored by Aaron Dalli (32’), Shawn Vella (69’), a penalty by Keith Muscat three minutes later, Joshua Farrugia (64’) and a late goal by Sam Kind on the stroke of full-time.


Mġarr United 4 Għargħur 1

Mġarr went back to winning ways, having little trouble exposing Għarghur. Għarghur started well and were twice dangerous in the opening 15 minutes via Aaron Mizzi and Owen Magri. On 23 minutes, Mġarr were awarded a penalty and Gordon Saliba converted from the spot. From then on, it was mostly Mġarr in attack and it was Zammit who doubled the score on 39 minutes. Gharghur pulled one back just after the break thanks to a close-range goal by Ikechukwu Igwemeke. But three minutes later, Jamie Lee Micallef headed past Galea to make it 3-1 for Mġarr. Deep into added time, Mġarr were awarded a second penalty when Timmy Muscat handled the ball on the goal line, with Muscat being red-carded. Russel Marmara’s spot kick was initially saved by substitute goalkeeper Michael Cluett but Marmara scored in the rebound.



Żabbar St Patrick 1 Mtarfa 1

This was a drab affair between Żabbar and Mtarfa, especially in the first half, with hard conditions on a soggy surface due to the rain showers in the morning. The match came to life after the break and on 50 minutes, Żabbar were awarded a penalty when Matthew Borda brought down Jean-Claud Cesare in the box. Rogger Sneider converted from the spot. A few minutes later, a Cesare header just missed target after some good work on the right flank by Carl Magro. On 82 minutes there was a penalty on the other side after a hands ball incident. Jurgen Gerada made no mistake from the spot to save a point for Mtarfa.


Siġġiewi 2 Mdina Knights 1

A hard-earned victory for Siġġiewi, who are now positioned in mid-table, against a luckless Mdina side. On 16 minutes, Siġġiewi’s Sam Vella incredibly missed from close range after some good work of Emmanuel Mbong on the right. On 53 minutes, the referee awarded a penalty after Rene Duca was brought down in the box. Substitute Aaron Agius converted from the spot. Siġġiewi continued to dictate play and it was Mbong who doubled the score in the 63rd minute. Mdina tried hard to get back into the match and were awarded a penalty with two minutes regular time left after a handball incident in the Siġġiewi box. Captain Matthew Pace did not fail to bring the excitement back into the game. Siġġiewi substitute Luke Gatt could have sealed the match on the stroke of full-time but missed target with only the goalkeeper to beat.  


Rabat Ajax 1 Msida St Joseph 1

League B leaders Rabat had to settle for a draw against a stubborn Msida side, who can upset more teams this season should they display the same fighting spirit as in this encounter. The Saints took the lead on 24 minutes by Timmy Thomas, already his fifth league goal for Msida this season. Venezuelan playmaker Nestor Canas equalised just before the break for the Magpies, who pushed hard for a winner in the second half but the Msida defence stood firm to control the match.



Kalkara United 2 Santa Venera Lightnings 0

Kalkara are still in the hunt, recording their second league win of the season, defeating Sta Venera 2-0. Both goals were scored in the first half. On 20 minutes, Alan Tabone’s great free-kick, from just outside the box, had the better of Sta Venera goalkeeper Carbonaro. Just after the half hour mark, Kalkara doubled thanks to veteran Anthony Ewurum, who finished off some great word by Nathan Attard. The Lightnings tried hard to get back into the match but during the second half, Kalkara held firm with relative ease. 


Attard 3 Dingli Swallows 2

A much improved Dingli made life hard for Attard, still led by Carmelo Caruana from the side-lines. On 19 minutes, Attard took the lead thanks to an angled shot by Nicholas Schembri from the edge of the box. Schembri doubled on 42 minutes and barely a minute later his free-kick sailed inches over the crossbar. On the stroke of half-time, Dario Borg reduced the deficit, punishing an error in the Attard defence. On the hour, Dingli were awarded a penalty when Ryan Caruana obstructed Matthew Borg in the box. Karl Cilia made no mistake from the spot to put Dingli deservedly next to Attard. On 72 minutes, Julien Iwueke had a wonderful opportunity to put Attard 3-2 up but Dingli goalkeeper Manuel Galea saved in style. Galea was in fine shape as he blocked a Caruana effort from close range on 84 minutes. However, from the corner kick that followed, captain Jurgen Gauci blasted the ball home to give Attard their fourth consecutive win in the league.


Melita 3 Kirkop United 0

League C leaders Melita also won their fifth league match, another important three points, beating Kirkop 3-0 at the Luxol Stadium. The Amateurs opened the score after just three minutes when Nigel Rizzo scored from a cross by Tobias Terpougoff. Five minutes later, Melita doubled the score as Luke Mifsud tapped in after Terpougoff dribbled two players and delivered another perfect cross. Kirkop's first shot on target came on 39 minutes when a freekick by Quelin Micallef was well saved by Melita custodian Lawrence Cauchi. As the second half went underway Melita made it 3-0 on 47 minutes thanks to Mifsud, who scored his second goal of the game after a cross from Nigel Rizzo. Kirkop could have scored in the 55th minute but Davide Mula’s header was well saved by Cauchi. 

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners