Malta Football Association
Melita fly high, Mġarr drop points in derby
Nov 17, 2020
Posted in:
BOV Challenge League
BOV Amateur League A
BOV Amateur League B
BOV Amateur League C
(c) Stephen Gatt
(c) Stephen Gatt

  • (c) Stephen Gatt
  • (c) Stephen Gatt
  • (c) Stephen Gatt

It was another eventful weekend in the BOV Challenge League and the BOV Amateur Leagues with both Marsa and Marsaxlokk showing impressive form in the NCL, while Melita keeps on winning their matches in the NAL. 


Marsa 5 Qormi 0

Marsa’s powerful machine is finally gearing up with an impressive win over Qormi. Five goals for the Redblues who dominated from start to finish, with Gyorev’s side only able to withstand the pressure for the first half an hour. When Dylan Grima broke the deadlock on the half hour with a great shot from the edge of the area, it was all over for Qormi who had no reply. Dylan Micallef added a second on 37 minutes and a third with a spectacular overhead kick twelve minutes into the second half. Two late goals from Francesco Gusman with a powerful header in the 72nd minute and with a Godwin McKay bombshell on 82 minutes made Marsa’s victory more pronounced.

Qrendi 0 Marsaxlokk 3
This Marsaxlokk victory puts them in third place and with a sight of the leadership as they trail San Gwann by four with two games in hand. The team of coach Edgar Degabriele dictated matters throughout and on 32 minutes, Pablo Doffo broke the deadlock direct from a freekick with a gem of a goal. Five minutes later Marsaxlokk almost made it two but Ivan Paz’s shot hit the crossbar. Marsaxlokk still had the edge in the second half and doubled the score on 50 minutes when Qrendi goalkeeper Zarb lost the ball following a tackle from Dennis Cartella, with the same Italian putting the ball home. On 69 minutes Qrendi were down to ten when Steve Schembri received a double booking. In the dying minutes Barone tested Zarb and Peter Xuereb slotted home from close range.


Group A
Birżebbuġa St Peter’s 4 Ta’ Xbiex 0

As expected, Birżebbuġa dominated this match but Ta’ Xbiex defended well and the score was 0-0 at the break. On the resumption, Shawn Vella broke the deadlock for St Peter’s and in the 55th minute, Vinicius added a second. Defender Ryan Micallef added a third on 80 minutes and again Vinicius was on target three minutes later. The team of coach Paul Camilleri have now moved up to third place in the ranking, one before Marsaskala, who have however a game in hand.

Mellieħa 1 Mġarr United 1
The Northern derby was a well contested balanced match, with a draw as a fair result. In the 25th minute, Kyle Simiana opened the score for Mellieha. Mgarr reacted well and drew level on 34 minutes thanks to an opportunistic goal by Jamie Lee Micallef. A free-kick of Mġarr just missed target two minutes before the break. The second half was less exciting with very few goal scoring opportunities on both sides. Mellieħa’s Daniel Saliba, who entered as a substitution late in the match, was giving a second caution in added time and his marching orders.

Żurrieq 2 Għaxaq 0
A clinical win for Żurrieq, who are now sharing top spot with Mġarr United in this section. The Reds dominated in the first half by creating a series of chances and had various shots on target, while Ghaxaq responded with counter attacks. Żurrieq took the lead in the 55th minute, as substitute Claudio Calleja precise shot finished top corner. Għaxaq’s Ian Calleja had a big opportunity to put his team next to Żurrieq on 65 minutes, but Żurrieq keeper Carmelo Caruana saved his attempt. In the 71st minute, Luke Zahra scored an unfortunate own goal, putting the outcome of this match beyond doubt.

Group B
Mtarfa 2 Siġġiewi 1
This was the second consecutive league win for Mtarfa, who are enjoying a positive start of the league. The team of coach Joe Gerada piled the pressure from the start and on eight minutes took a deserved lead thanks to a Nicholas Zammit strike, who could have doubled the score himself barely a minute later but this time Leon Seisun saved. In the 14th minute, Kurt Magro hit the post for Siġġiewi, who equalized in the 54th minute thanks to a splendid shot by Andre Farrugia. Fifteen minutes later, Mtarfa scored the decisive goal thanks to Jurgen Gerada after some good work by Cleaven Frendo. Deep into added time, Mtarfa escaped with Aaron Agius hitting the crossbar for Siġġiewi.

Mdina Knights 2 Rabat Ajax 2
Neighbours Mdina and Rabat met for the very first time in an official match in the MFA competitions, with the former the happier of the two, gaining a point thanks to a late equaliser. Three of the goals arrived early in the game. Nicolai Attard put the Magpies 1-0 up after five minutes, with English import Bradley Fortnam Tomlinson equalising seven minutes later. In the 20th minute, Venezuelan livewire Nestor Canas put Rabat ahead once more. Rabat controlled the match but it was Fortnam Tomlinson who managed to find the net once more, on the stroke of full-time, a very welcome point for the Knights.

Luqa St Andrew’s 2 Msida St Joseph 2
Stalemate in an entertaining clash. Luqa took the lead on nine minutes when Msida captain Fabio Muscat scored an unfortunate own goal. Five minutes later, Msida drew level thanks to Timmy Thomas, who could head easily past the Luqa goalkeeper after some good work by Julian Zammit. Luqa took the lead thanks to an Alan Abdul Rahman volley in the 61st minute. Six minutes later, Claridge missed incredibly from close range and it was Msida who equalised on 70 minutes, thanks to a Lian Xuereb shot from the edge of the box, a ball deflected by a Luqa defender. Five minutes later, a Claridge free-kick for Luqa was turned into a corner and not much later, a curling Mario Jude Dominicius shot sailed inches over the crossbar.

Rabat Ajax 2 Mtarfa 1
Another derby for Rabat yesterday evening at the Centenary and this time the Magpies came out victorious. Young Nicolai Attard put Rabat 1-0 up as early as the 3rd minute. Mtarfa reacted well and Jurgen Gerada equalised on 27 minutes. After the resumption, Aidan Azzopardi scored the decisive goal on 47 minutes, a very welcome win for Rabat who are now sole leaders in Group B of the BOV Amateur League.

Luqa St Andrew’s 3 Siġġiewi 1
Luqa keep the pressure on Rabat thanks to a deserved win over Siġġiewi. In the 12th minute, Luqa were awarded a penalty as Eman Ciappara fouled Damon Grima in the box. Danny Claridge made no mistake from the spot. Five minutes later, Luqa doubled thanks to a header by Alan Abdel Rahman, from a Grima free-kick. On 21 minutes, Siġġiewi reduced the deficit thanks to Emmanuel Mbong, who took advantage from a scrimmage in the box after a corner action. On 64 minutes, Siġġiewi centre-back Edward Bugeja received his second caution and his marching orders. Ten minutes later, Mark Farrugia added goal number three for Luqa with an angled shot from the edge of the box. After the final whistle, Kurt Magro was shown a straight red card for dissent.

Group C
Santa Venera Lightnings 0 Attard 4

Attard obtained the third consecutive victory, easily beating Santa Venera by four clear goals. This was a no contest with Attard dominating from start to finish, scoring four goals, apart from missing a penalty and several other clear scoring opportunities. On eleven minutes Bledi Alla opened the score finishing off a good move. In the 24th minute, Attard were awarded a penalty after a foul by the Lightnings goalkeeper, but player/coach Claude Carbonaro made amends by blocking Nicholas Schembri’s penalty. However, Attard doubled the score on 38 minutes after a fine run on the left by Bledi Alla who scored his second goal with a low drive. In the second half Attard continued to attack adding two further goals from Julien Iwueke on 52 minutes and Schembri five minutes from time.

Dingli Swallows 1 Melita 6
Melita keep on impressing with their fifth consecutive victory of the season, four in the league and one in the Amateur Cup, nearly all wins with large figures. They are the only team in Malta who won all their matches so far. Matteo Desira-Buttigieg opened the score in the tenth minutes, with lanky Dingli striker Luke Galea equalising barely a minute later. Mark Vassallo scored an unfortunate own goal on 15 minutes and close to the half hour mark, substitute Luke Sammut added goal number three for Melita. Four minutes before the break it was already match over with Noel Omondi scoring goal number four. Melita kept going and added two more after the break thanks to a 50th minute penalty by Luke Mifsud and a late Nigel Rizzo strike on 82 minutes.

Xgħajra Tornados 3 Kirkop United 4
This was a very entertaining match with both sides playing full on the attack. It all started well for Xghajra, who took an early 3rd minute lead thanks to Jake Lovegrove who headed the ball past Xerxen from a corner action. In the 14th minute, Kirkop equalised thanks to an opportunistic goal by Dylan Tanti and captain Ayrton Buhagiar put Kirkop 2-1 up on 28 minutes. Five minutes into the second half, Buhagiar increased Kirkop’s lead with a fine header. Two minutes later on the other side, a Lovegrove attempt, after some good work by Reuter Degiorgio, was cleared of the line. In the 55th minute, defender Clint Barbara reduced the deficit for Xgħajra after a great solo effort. But on 71 minutes, Buhagiar added his third for Kirkop after beating the offsite trap. Matthew Degiorgio reduced the deficit for Xgħajra with a header from a corner action two minutes into added time.

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners