Malta Football Association
Hard-earned cup wins for Melita, Siġġiewi and Mġarr United
Nov 4, 2020
Posted in:
BOV Amateur League A
BOV Amateur League B
BOV Amateur League C
National Amateur Cup
(c) Stephen Gatt
(c) Stephen Gatt

  • (c) Stephen Gatt
  • (c) Stephen Gatt
  • (c) Stephen Gatt
  • (c) Stephen Gatt
  • (c) Walter Sargent
  • (c) Walter Sargent

The inaugural MFA Amateur Cup kicked off  last weekend with seven Preliminary Round matches at the Luxol Stadium and the Sirens Stadium.

Xgħajra Tornados 2 Mġarr United 3

Mġarr beat Xgħajra with the odd goal in five thanks to a penalty late in the match.


Just after the half hour mark, Mġarr took the lead as Clayton Borg was the fastest to drive the ball past Lark Falzon in the rebound, after an Aaron Sammut free-kick created havoc in the box of Xgħajra. Zack Camilleri made it two for Mġarr just before the break, rounding off some good work by Sammut.


Xgħajra reacted strongly in the second half with Reuter Degiorgio scoring a brace on 59 and 77 minutes to level matters. Mġarr stepped up their efforts and were close to regain the lead thanks to a Russell Marmara thunderbolt which hit the crossbar on 78 minutes.


Four minutes from time, Mġarr striker Jamie Lee Micallef was brought down in the box, with Gordon Saliba sending Falzon the wrong way. Mġarr is now playing Żabbar St. Patrick in the Round of 16.


Żurrieq 3 Marsaskala 1

Żurrieq had the better Marsaskala at the Sirens Ground, a deserved win.


After just four minutes, Żurrieq took the lead thanks to Andre-Joe Cutajar, who beat the offside trap and Marsaskala goalkeeper Daniel Attard with a low drive.


Six minutes later on the other side, Warren Zerafa should have done better with only Loran Schembri to beat but the Żurrieq goalkeeper cleverly intercepted his lob. Adrian Caruana then doubled for Zurrieq on 31 minutes with a tap-in after a brilliant Claudio Calleja free-kick hit the crossbar.


It was match over when Żurrieq added a third in the first action after the break thanks to a Cutajar, who’s header changed direction by Marsaskala defender Diego Agius.


On 74 minutes, Żurrieq substitute Wayne Aquilina was sent-off for a foul on Joseph Chetcuti, three minutes after the young attacker had entered the pitch. Cliven Farrugia scored a consolidation goal for Marsaskala in the 92nd minute. Żurrieq will meet the winner of the match Mtarfa vs Mdina Knights, which has been postponed. 


Kirkop United 5 Ta’ Xbiex 0

Jeffrey Mifsud’s Kirkop experienced no problems to beat Ta’ Xbiex 5-0, with the last four goals arriving during the last 16 minutes. Michael Theuma was sent through on 19 minutes and opened the scoring with an angled shot.


Ta’ Xbiex initially responded well and a Bruno Valente shot from the edge of the box on 32 minutes sailed inches over the crossbar. In the first twenty minutes of second half, Kirkop wasted three goalscoring opportunities, one by Andy Portelli and two by Ayrton Buhagiar.


It had to be substitute Lincoln Micallef to put the score beyond doubt with two goals on 74 and 78 minutes. In between, Portelli should have scored as well with only the goalkeeper to beat but his attempt was cleared off the line by a defender.


However, captain Buhagiar added goal number four on 83 minutes and two minutes from time Portelli added Kirkop’s fifth. Kirkop are now playing Kalkara in the Round of 16.


Siġġiewi 2 Santa Venera Lightnings 1

Siġġiewi had more trouble than expected to shake off the resistance of a stubborn Santa Venera Lightnings side, who played a good match. All goals arrived in the second half after a balanced first half.


On the hour, Aaron Agius put Siġġiewi ahead thanks a great individual effort after an assist by Andre Farrugia. Six minutes later, Matthew Scicluna temporarily equalised for Sta Venera but seven minutes from time it was the nippy Sam Vella with a great top corner goal which gave Sta Venera goalkeeper Dwayne Camilleri no chance.


Siġġiewi is now playing Rabat Ajax in the Round of 16.


Attard 7 Żebbuġ Rovers 0


It was one-way traffic, especially in the second half at the Sirens Ground last Sunday with the in-form Attard team proving too strong for Gozitan 2nd Division side Żebbuġ Rovers.


They took an early lead thanks to Bledi Alla, who took advantage of some hesitating Zebbug defending. On 27 minutes, Żebbuġ striker Tomeu Perello hit the post with a shot from just outside the box. On the stroke of half-time, Nigel Spiteri doubled the score with a great rising shot which gave goalkeeper Baskal Saliba no chance.


The second half was a memorable one for young ex-Floriana midfielder Brandon Bray who scored a hattrick on 65, 85 and 91 minutes, after Bledi Alla and Adrian Sammut had already scored goal number three and four. Spanish Żebbuġ striker Perello received a second yellow card on the stroke of full-time and received his marching orders. Attard will face Birżebbuġa St Peter’s in the next round of the Amateur Cup. 


Żabbar St Patrick 3 Dingli Swallows 0

Dennis Apap’s St Patrick cruised to the last 16 thanks to a comfortable 3-0 win over a depleted Dingli Swallows side, who had mostly Under-17 players on the reserves bench last Sunday. It was the match of ex-Rabat and Mtarfa striker Isaac Abela, who scored all three goals. He opened the score in the fifth minute with a great free-kick.


In the 25th minute Żabbar doubled the score as Jordan Debono hit the post and from the rebound Isaac Abela beat Dingli goalkeeper Manuel Galea for a second time. Abela put the result beyond doubt with a third goal on 68 minutes. Żabbar are playing Mġarr in the Round of 16.


Luqa St Andrew’s 1 Melita 2

The best match of the weekend was that one between Luqa and Melita, with the latter winning by the odd goal in three. On 26 minutes, Luqa’s Ryan Gafa, unmarked, could have done better with a goalscoring opportunity from close range after a free-kick from Danny Claridge. In the attack that followed, Melita were awarded a penalty after a Keith Vella foul on Karl Mohnani in the box.


Noel Omondi made no mistake from the spot. On the stroke of half-time, Mohnani made it 2-0, punishing off a mistake in the Luqa defence. Luqa started on the attack after the break and just after the hour, a scorcher by Vella sailed inches over the crossbar and in the 68th minute, Vella headed on the crossbar after a corner action.


With five minutes regular time left on the clock, a shot by Melita substitute Matteo Desira-Buttigieg hit the post.


Four minutes into added time, Luqa were awarded a penalty after a handball incident in the box. Alan Abdel Rahman reduced the deficit from the spot. Luqa duo Vella and Damon Grima, and Melita’s Antoine Attard were shown a straight red card for aggressive conduct.


Melita are now playing Għaxaq in the next round of the National Amateur Cup. 

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners