Malta Football Association
Spirited Valletta bow out of UCL with heads held high
Jul 31, 2019
Posted in:
BOV Premier League
PHOTO: Domenic Aquilina/MFA
PHOTO: Domenic Aquilina/MFA

UEFA Champions League – Second qualifying round, second leg

VALLETTA          1

(Ferencvaros go through 4-2 on aggregate)


Valletta produced a tenacious performance in the second leg of their Champions League second qualifying round match against Hungarian champions Ferencvaros, drawing 1-1 at the Centenary Stadium on Tuesday.

The result was not enough for the Maltese champions to advance to the third qualifying round following their 3-1 defeat in Budapest last week but Valletta, who were missing several key players for Tuesday’s home match, bow out of Europe’s top competition with their heads held high.


Their European campaign continues though as Valletta now move to the third qualifying round of the Europa League and a match against Astana, from Kazakhstan, who beat Andorra's Fc Santa Coloma 4-1 on aggregate in their Europa League second qualifying round tie.


In Tuesday’s match, Ferencvaros created the better chances inside the opening 10 minutes, hitting the post twice, but it was Valletta who opened the scoring on 27 minutes. Kevin Tulimieri was fouled inside the box by Ferencvaros captain Gergo Lovrencsics and Mario Fontanella made no mistake from the spot.


The hosts upped their game in search of a second goal that would have significantly boosted their qualification hopes but on the hour, Ferenvcvaros equaised.


Tkomac Nguen capitalised on a mistake in midfield and beat Henry Bonello with a curling drive from outside the box.


The Valletta goalkeeper then produced a series of fine saves to prevent Ferencvaros adding a second goal.


Late in the game, Valletta’s Yuri Messias was twice denied by Ferencvaros goalkeeper Denes Dibusz.


Ferencvaros will meet Croatian champions Dinamo Zagreb in the third qualifying round of the Champions League.



Gżira United took to the field of the Centenary Stadium on Thursday with a bold intent to attack and revive their hopes against Latvian side FK Ventspils who had won the first leg of their Europa League Q2 match 4-0.


For most of the opening half, Gżira looked capable of getting the goals they needed to reopen the issue as they pressed forward, creating a host of scoring chances but they could only grab one goal through Brazilian forward Jefferson.


In the second half, Ventspils secured their qualification as they went 2-1 up with fine goals from Jevgenijs Kazacoks, an inswinging free-kick, and Mykhailo Serhiichuk who beat Justin Haber with a strong drive.


Jefferson made it 2-2 in stoppage time.


Ventspils goalkeeper Kostyantyn Makhnovskyy and Gżira striker Amadou Samb were sent off at the end of the match.

Official Sponsors
Commercial Partners